Saturday 13 August 2011

Adjusting To The New Economy


As “our world shifts to a new highly technical planetary economy” (Kelly, 1999), it is observed that every facet of ones existence is revolutionised to accommodate this new way of life.

In my personal experience, I have known no different, thus the shift from traditional to contemporary methods of communication has not been so noticeable for myself… and for many others among my generation. However, As this weeks reading by Kevin Kelly suggests, the hi-tech developments have restructured human existence and “the geography of wealth is being reshaped by our tools” (Kelly, 1999). So as a consequence, those who take this in their stride and cooperate with the way that the world is maturing will succeed, and those that fail to do so will descend into the distance, be left behind and essentially become forgotten.

Kelly feels that, “the new economy has three distinguishing characteristics: It is global. It favors intangible things – ideas, information, and relationships. And it is intensily linked” (1999). This is particularly true for business for obvious reasons, but also plays a great role in other areas of human existence. For instance, our social world has been entirely remoulded. Gone are the days where a hand written letter was the only way to inform your grandmother of your achievements. “The world of communication now includes all kinds of media—audio, video, rich media presentations, interactive websites, DVD, simulations, and virtual meeting environments.” (Aho, 2005)

Since relocating two years ago, I have developed a large social network with friends and family scattered all over the world. Thus, I rely on skype, e-mail, facebook and sms text messaging – the main forms of digital communication – in order to preserve relations with friends and family.

After gathering quantitative data to record the connections of my personal relationships across social networks, it is evident that I utilize the digital developments immensely, particularly use of my mobile phone. It is clear from the graph below text messaging is the predominant means of communication, which I choose to engage in. There are many factors that explain why I rely on text messaging:

-                Convenience
-                Speed
-                Time to think about response
-                Saving of information and conversation
-                Entertainment
-                Distraction

When comparing the amount of digital communication to face-to-face communication, it is clear that digital interaction prevails. The main reason for the lack of face-to-face communication is due to location. Most of the friends I examined do not live within a reasonable radius to undertake face-to-face interaction on a regular basis. However, I did note that I have a very large amount of text messages sent to my roommate who lives merely meters away from me. I put this down to laziness. Why get out of bed to walk a few meters, knock on a door and wait for a response when I can simply send an sms whilst in the comfort of my bed and achieve the same result?





Digital communication devices are a blessing to the lazy beings of generation Y!  Kelly’s assertion that “Human expression, thought, communication, and even life have been infiltrated by high technology” could not be more correst. I believe many of the repercussions of the invasion of digital networking go unnoticed to the masses as they seamlessly glide into ones life, creating less labor to the modern man.



Reference List:
Aho, K 2005 “Digital Communication for All Students,” THE Journal, 24 May accessed 10.4.2011, http://www.adobe.com/education/solutions/pdfs/dc_for_all_students.pdf

Kelly, K 1999, “This new economy,”New Rules for the new Economy, URL: http://www.kk.org/newrules/newrules-intro.html, accessed 10.8.2011

3 comments:

  1. "So as a consequence, those who take this in their stride and cooperate with the way that the world is maturing will succeed, and those that fail to do so will descend into the distance, be left behind and essentially become forgotten"

    This is a point which has been discussed among a lot of my subjects. It is inevitable... in the corporate world it is either get on board or enjoy watching me race off into the horizon of profits. Digital means of communication have made us physically more lazy, but it has made us mentally more busy... everything is one click away. There is a concern that things can be done overnight, cities do not sleep anymore. As I have already commented on in another blog, the world is spinning faster, and are asses are getting bigger. Catchya yew. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post Gabby. I agree with you completely when you say that we rely on digital networks to communicate with our friends and family, and most of these aren't within a comfortable radius. I can go months without seeing a large portion of my friends and family, however the ease of Skype and Video calling from my iPhone have numbed that pain a little! Great work..

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Gone are the days where a hand written letter was the only way to inform your grandmother of your achievements" i know! my grandma's can text! they're a little excited that they don't have to wait by the letterbox now, i think.

    It's cool that you've acknowledged digital communication as the main reason why you've kept such great contact, and collated it into a graph! very nifty!

    Do you honestly think you'd be more 'active' if we took out digital communication? personally i think I'd get carpel tunnel

    ReplyDelete